“A compound that helps skin adapt to changes in moisture levels and come back to balance.“
Betaine helps the skin to adapt to moisture losses and gains to restore and balance the skin’s hydration and moisture.
Betaine benefits :
- Helps skin adapt to moisture losses and gains, balancing skin’s hydration level.
- Recent research demonstrates the potential of a topical chemical to improve uneven skin tone.
- Noted for being skin-friendly
- May be derived from plants or chemicals
- Also found naturally in the skin and body
Betaine is a humectant which means it retains moisture and prevents moisture loss. It is known as an osmolyte, a substance that helps skin adapt to moisture losses and gains, essentially balancing skin’s hydration. Because of its soft, soothing nature, betaine is frequently incorporated in skincare products (1).
Betaine also shows promise as a topical agent to visibly improve uneven skin tone, according to recent studies. However additional research is required to establish this effect, although preliminary findings seem promising (1).